The City of Austin is updating the Urban Farm Code and this Thursday, October 17th, the City Council will vote on the recommendations from the Sustainable Food Policy Board and the Planning Commission. You’d think coming off a 6-1 vote from the Planning Commission, this would be a slam dunk, but it’s not.
Austin’s Urban Farms are up against a small group of very vocal activists, who accuse them of being gentrifiers, land grabbers, and even compared the farms to the old tank farms that used to pollute East Austin. One would think a group who claims to be activists for the environment would understand that these small organic farms are better for the environment than anything else could possibly be. But, they don’t want any farms in any neighborhood – ever.
The reality is that these Austin farms provide us with healthy food and a phenomenal community and educational resource. I think of the farms like schools, parks and libraries – we should have them in every neighborhood, all over the city.
If you support Austin’s urban farms, please participate in Austin Urban Farm Day on Thursday. Here are some of the ways you can help:
- Wear green – the color of the farms!
- Wear a sticker showing your support of the farms. You can get one at City Hall when you join us for the hearing or you can print your own and share with friends. (The stickers are formatted for Avery labels 22830.)
- Put up a sign showing your support of the farms.
- Get social! Post a photo on Thursday in your green shirt with your sign to Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #austinurbanfarms and we’ll repost it on this website.
- Most importantly, come join us at City Hall. The public hearing portion of the council meeting begins at 4 pm and we would love for our friends and supporters to pack the council chambers. You can sign up in support of Urban Farm Code update and even speak if you feel so moved. You can sign in any time before the vote and here are the steps for how to do it.
- And, if you haven’t written already, please send a nice note to the council telling them you support Austin’s Urban Farms.
Need more details? Click here to learn more about Austin Urban Farm Day.
Not sure how to sign in to speak or support the Urban Farm Code Update at City Hall? Here are instructions.